11th January, 2011 - Posted by Lia - No Comments
It’s your beautiful face people are going to be staring at all night long, leave a lasting impression with the help of Ally Zwonok a professional makeup artist based in Montreal! We’ve even interviewed her on your behalf and asked all the pertinent questions with the goal of making your choice easier!
1) What is your background? Where did you learn to apply makeup?
I come from an incredibly artistic family, my mother worked in Fashion for 25 years and my father was a Rock Star! I began my education in Media Arts (TV, Film, Radio) and realised I needed to do something more creative. From a young age I loved playing around with makeup and it’s always been something I was good at. I then chose to pursue my career at Lasalle College as a Professional Makeup Artist, then specialised in Airbrush Makeup!
2) How did you get started as a makeup artist?
Montreal has a lot of competition and great artists so I had to make myself different from others. I basically worked really hard and took every opportunity that came my way just so I could gain experience. Before I knew it I was working with famous designers and celebrities!
3) What is your typical week like?
I don’t have a “typical week”…which is actually great! I’m either on set doing a photo-shoot, makeup applications for different types of occasions, weddings, teaching a course or working with my Cosmetics Line which I launched in 2009!
4) How do I book you for my wedding date? Do you require a deposit? What about a contract?
I highly recommend a trial for all brides. This is where we build a relationship work together to create your own unique look. If you are satisfied with the trial, we then proceed to booking. I do require a deposit and a signed contract in order to reserve the wedding date.
5) Will it be YOU at my wedding or another artist? What happens if you can’t make it on my day?
Yes! The trial is my vow that I will be the one applying your makeup! In case of emergency I have a team of incredible artists who can substitute for me.
6) How many weddings have you done? Do you normally work with brides? Yes, I work with many, many brides! Probably close to, 100 in the past couple of years!
7) Do you have a portfolio?
Absolutely! You can go to www.AllyZwonokMakeup.com, there are plenty of photos as well as some tutorial videos!
8) What size of bridal party do you accommodate? How long will it take to get makeup for my bridal party?
I can accommodate as many as time permits. I like to calculate 25 minutes per bridesmaid and a little longer to perfect the bride! If I cannot accommodate everyone in the given time slot, I bring along my wonderful assistant!
9) What methods of payment do you accept?
For now cash or check, I’m working on accepting interact and credit cards in the new year.
10) What kinds/brands of products do you use? Is this makeup good for pictures or photography?
I have actually designed my own cosmetics line; Alter Ego Cosmetics! The products contain all the good stuff: Vitamin B, Sunscreen, Wheat-germ and not tested on Animals, (which is very important to me!) Perfect for photographing and lasting all day!
11) How do I keep my makeup fresh for the whole day? How will the product wear? What about color-matched products to touch up with?
I work with Airbrush foundation which basically requires minimal touch-ups. I would recommend purchasing the lip gloss or lip stick you choose, as this is the only thing you will need to re-apply!
12) I have skin allergies or severe acne. Can you work with me? Do you airbrush? How about covering blemishes or my tattoo? Do you apply false lashes?
Not a problem, I use hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic products which don’t produce or agitate acne prone skin. In fact, Airbrush is great for blemishes and uneven skin it provides great coverage with a light feeling! And Yes…I love false lashes and highly recommend them for all brides!!
13) Do you charge a travel or location fee? How far do you travel for that fee?
If your wedding is located on the island of Montreal or close to it there is no additional charge. I have gone as far as Tremblant, New York and Florida, so this is something we would have to discuss!
14) What happens at the Trial Run? Do I come to you for this appointment? How long will the Trial Run take?
I have a lovely makeup studio based in the West Island where I do all applications and wedding trials. During the trial run we discuss various styles in order to create the perfect look. I would suggest looking though magazines or the internet for some ideas! Usually takes about an hour.
15) On my wedding day, do I come to you, or do you travel to my venue (or where I’m getting dressed)?
For the wedding day, I offer a mobile service for your comfort and convenience!
16) Do you sell cosmetic products?
I do sell Alter Ego Cosmetics, so just in case you forget your lip stick or gloss…I have you covered!!